Sunday, August 29, 2010

uDaan

Positives:
Measured cinematography, exceptionally underplayed artwork that fits the setting, brilliant sound work, real acting (save the story telling bit), superlative lyrics.

Negatives:
Minor quibbles that might indicate that the negatives are more than the positives. That truly isn't the case. They should've hired locals/actors from the region to portray locals (students, father, uncle), they've gone with Ronit Roy (who does a pretty good job) for the father and Ram Kapoor for the uncle, and (what seems like) two Marathi actors (The senior and the old guy in the hospital). In this respect, I felt that authenticity was compromised. Naav suggests a fight back, but the ending seems like a cop-out. In general, the lyrics aren't perfectly suited for the screenplay (Getting it perfect must be a real bitch especially if the lyrics are so awesome). Some scenes don't fit: The car breaking scene indicating angst and frustration followed by incarceration. Highly unlikely - not the car-breaking by protagonist, but doing that in front of a cop risking incarceration - then again, I probably feel that way because I can't put myself in his shoes. The kids end up running the restaurant - again, fortuitous and artistic license must be given. Ditto for the end scene in which Rohan smuggles the kid away - just when his dad has gone to get the auto. The MoTumaster isn't that fat...

I think Rohan was his uncle's son, not his father's, both literally and figuratively. The dialog in which the uncle tells him that every father wants his kid to be just like him followed by the album scenes and uncle whispering into his ears indicates as much.

All said and done, very much worth the watch. If just 5% of the 1000 odd films made every year were qualitatively as close to this film...well it would be awesome wouldn't it?

In case my preference for local actors is somehow misconstrued as some sort of parochialism, I wish to clarify that isn't. I just like accents in a movie to be as authentic as possible.

11 comments:

Firebolt said...

The senior is Anand Tiwari,
He's a Marathi actor? And Suman Mastkar played the patient.. what difference does it make if he was Marathi? Not that the guy had a VERY great role!

Firebolt said...

Btw,

Agree with the last para :)

Ganesh Hegde said...

I've mentioned that the authenticity of the accent matters to me. If it didn't make a difference to you, great!
Apu's (Anand Tiwari) accent seemed put on, not entirely authentic (I don't think he can help it, he's born in Mumbai, that makes him Marathi some would say, no ;)).

Ganesh Hegde said...

Born and bred in Mumbai, mind you.

Firebolt said...

Born and bred in Mumbai,
that does not make one Marathi

IMHO

Ganesh Hegde said...

To me, Jus Soli and Son of the Soil are pretty holistic definitions. Even moreso when telltale signs like accents and other cultural markers match. What in iyho would define a Marathi? Just curious.

Firebolt said...

I am just saying that if someone has been brought up in Mumbai, or even born in Mumbai for that matter, that does not make him a Marathi because IMHO, a Marathi should know Marathi..

And the 'accent' that you are talking about, the Marathi accent is not there in his pronunciations in the film. I can tell because I know Marathi :)

Ganesh Hegde said...

My theory of Marathiness accommodates his non-Marathi speaking too, if it were true. We can agree to disagree on if it is true and I'll ignore your implication that I don't know Marathi...
Watch the President is coming to understand what I mean. He plays a Gujju stock broker in the movie while his accent doesn't indicate it. That could mean two things: One is that he believes that one doesn't need to have a local accent to play a local and he brings that into his acting. Or that he cannot help but speak in an accent he's familiar with.
Either ways, it doesn't change the fact that it helps being a local to bring authenticity.
Case in point: Dukey Bana in Gulaal is the most Bambaiyya Rajasthani patriarch you'll ever get. Now no one doubt's KK Menon's acting, but show me a hardcore Rajasthani who speaks like KK and I'll be convinced.
But hey, if his and Tiwari's (and Roy's) accent worked for you, great!!

Firebolt said...

Well my direct/indirect reference at 'knowing' Marathi was not used to implicate your not knowing the language or the intricacies.. but if anything, I can say Mishter Apu's accent was more UP-ish than that of Jharkhand/Chattisgarh..

Watched the movie with a hostelite from Ranchi and she was mighty pleased with how the accent and langauge had been used.. otherwise who am I to comment on foreign dialects and accents :)

Ganesh Hegde said...

So Firebolt,
From your comment I gather that you and your Jharkhandi friend were happy that a guy with an apparently UP-ish accent was playing the role of a Jharkhand engineering senior.
As I said, whatever works for you...

Firebolt said...

Yes :)